Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Unit 9 Project

I.                    Introduction: It is important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically because they will have a better connection with their clients. For example, a practitioner who meditates on a regular basis will have the clarity in his mind to truly listen to the concerns of his patient. This effortless integral approach will bring a “holistic and evolutionary understanding of the patient” (Dasher, 2006, p169). This type of acknowledgement can be healing on its own. Physically, a practitioner should practice what they teach. Someone who seeks advice for a healthy lifestyle will be disappointed if the practitioner is obese.
An area I need to develop to achieve my goals is both psychological and physical. I work with clients in an environment where not only food choices, but alcohol is involved. Though I make good food choices, I need to improve in alcohol consumption. I have noticed that even two drinks affect my exercise regimen the next day. This is a challenge for me every time I have to entertain, but through this class I have gotten much better.
II.                 Assessment: Throughout the course of this class, my assessment has changed tremendously. My spiritual aspect has increased due to a continuous and genuine connection to attending church. Through meditation and yoga, my spiritual wellness has also grown. I feel a true connection and balance I have been looking for all my life.
My growth in spirituality is helping me physically. Since I am in better spirits these days I am more motivated to go to the gym. Yoga has also been changing my physical appearance which is very rewarding.
Psychologically, I have improved. Through the help of meditation and going to church I know that my psychological domain will grow. I am trying my hardest and I have been praying to have the will to control the habit of drinking with my coworkers and clients. Though I have improved tremendously, it is still a work in progress.
III.               Goal development:
·        Psychological - My goal is to attend these entertainment dinner meetings without consuming any alcohol at all. Some may think this is easy, but it is harder to do than one may actually think. Continue the practice of mediation daily in the morning in bed before I start my day.
·        Physical – Continue attending two yoga classes twice a week. Learn more about Qigong and introduce it to my mother because of her cancer. I have read that Qigong has great healing techniques.
·        Spiritual – My goal is to daily connect with God through prayer and not just on Sunday. Also, having the family join us will help us bond better. In addition, thanking God for allowing the great connection I feel when practicing yoga.
IV.              Practices for personal health:
·                    Physical – I decided to start riding my bike to the gym once a week. It’s only a 15-20 minute ride. Also, I will try my best to go to the gym 5 days out of the week. Currently, I am going 4 times. Additionally, I will start riding my bike with my 11 yr old son, Anthony once a week.
·                    Psychological – Psychologically, I have a strategy to not let any negativity affect my life. To me, this means not to be judgmental or envious of anyone. I can practice the loving-kindness exercise which will give me the clarity to achieve my goal. I will be a better person by being generous and positive towards others. Also, I will teach my son how to meditate. However, the words I will use with him will be to calm his mind when he is frustrated. He will be open to this approach.
·                    Spiritual – Strategies to reach optimal spiritual growth are to involve my entire family in going to church. Afterwards, we can all go out to eat. Another strategy I have in this domain is to develop a deeper connection with my spiritual being by meditating on a daily basis. I can continue to meditate a few minutes in my bed before I start my day.
V.                 Commitment:
One thing I can do to track my progress is take a picture of myself now and compare it in 6 months. I really want to push myself physically, so I am excited to see the results. Another thing I can do is take the integral assessment 6 months from now. By this time, I should have acquired a deep listening to my inner self. I should be able to more easily determine where I stand in my human flourishing development.
I do plan on reading some of the books suggested in the resource guide such as The Future of the Body by Michael Murphy. Most importantly, I will continue to practice loving-kindness, practice subtle mind, practice yoga, try Qigong also try group meditation at my gym.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,
    This course have help me a lot also. I have learned more to better gain control my well being. Right now I'm trying to fight this bad cough that have been going for three weeks. I'm knocking it down with NyQuil. Personally we know what we need to do, but it's just a matter of getting it done. Staying connected with families is important too. Hope your mom is doing well and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,
    You have already wayy surpassed me in the physical aspect. I am not sure I could find the time let alone the will to go to the gym 4 days a week. Kudos to you! I think the idea of taking your son on a ride is a good idea. What about taking him with you 2-3 times during the week, and let him ride to the gym with you. Most gyms have programs or rooms for children to play ball, use treadmills or medicine balls in. This might be a an option to think about. Unless of course you use your gym time to get away just for yourself. And if that is the case, there is nothing wrong with that. Your plan is similar to mine in that you are taking things you have already started and expanding them, or putting more focus on them. I know when I was a kid we all went to church together then went out to eat together. This was something we all looked forward to all week, and it brought us closer. It was the one time a week when it was just us, no distractions, and the whole day was family day. Whatever we did that day we did as a family. When it was warm, we would play softball on the church league, this helped our physical goals as well. I think the picture idea is a good one as well to track your progress. I would not use this personally though as I detest pictures of myself. I probably need to work on my body image while I am at the whole psychological growth thing. ;)
    Great plan, and I wish you all the luck in the world with continuing on your healthy path!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria,
    Great post! This class has been more rewarding than I could have ever imagined. The tools that we have been exposed too and learned to use to help us grow and develop have been life changing. And will continue to be if I continue to use them. I have found that yoga is hard. But I plan to join a yoga class for beginners to help me really learn yoga.

    Good luck to you in all your endeavors.

    Gigi

    ReplyDelete